7.3.1 Understand strategies for working effectively, sensitively and confidentially with parents/carers
Throughout my practicums I have witnessed many ways in which schools communicate with parent/ carers. Communication involves one-way or two-way exchanges and can happen effectively in a variety of ways.
- School newsletter to notify parents of upcoming events and school achievements
- School reports
- School website for general information about the school
- Bishop Tyrrell do have a ‘diary’ communication method whereby teachers can write comments into the student’s physical diary and have it signed off by the parent/ carer once read.
- SMS is also a popular way of notification
- In my experience, email communication is still a popular method of communication. This is either done directly or through the LMS. Keeping copies of correspondence could at times prove to be very valuable.
- Some teachers still prefer to pick up the phone to parents as they see it as personal and instant, especially where matters of student welfare are concerned.
- Parent teacher information nights are a great way to meet parents and discuss student progress
- School based community activities
- Sporting events such as swimming/sports carnivals where parent involvement is encouraged